Subscribe Today

Good starter drag sled?

Good starter drag sled?

Postby WopOnTour » March 8th, 2011, 5:46 pm

1st post here:
Im getting back into sled racing and I'm thinking drags would be fun.
I'm an old time circle track racer but dont think my body will let me. Plus it's year round...

SO
I want to buy a used sled and set it up for drags. Ice in winter, grass and perhaps even asphalt in summer.
700-1200 cc I would figure. Probably on nitrous at first and eventually maybe a turbo

I live out west near the mountians so there's always a TON of long track big engine sleds for reasonable $$ selling locally and on Craigslist. RMKs, F7 and 8s, Apex, Nytros,Mach z, Summits etc You name it and there's a busted broke rig-pig wanting to sell it. I dont neccessarily want to make a full out pro-mod and spend $30K but the sled wont be hitting the trails again so I just want to find a good platform to build on...

I mean I know there will still be a LOT of work to do and $$ to spend but what I want to know is WHICH sled built in the last ~10-15 years might be considered a PRIMO candidate to rework into a year round drag sled? Any rationale to this?
Thanks
WOT
~~~ Just an Old-Time Twister Twister ~~~
WopOnTour

Good starter drag sled?

Postby WopOnTour » March 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Example
I could pick up a 2003 F7 Cat for ~$3900
140HP a good head-start?
Or is EFI not the way to go? Can I tune it with a laptop like a 2002 Camaro? ;)

What about a late 80's SRX (solid axle cleated track) with a mid-90s Polaris 600 triple with 38mm Mikunis that I'm more familiar with (currently set up as a lake runner) I can get for ~$1800?

Again planning on 500-660' mostly but wouldnt mind a trip on the 1320 asphalt
Thanks again
WOT
~~~ Just an Old-Time Twister Twister ~~~
WopOnTour

Good starter drag sled?

Postby ZR900MAN » March 30th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I am not an expert on professional racing but I can tell you the F7 would be my choice to start with. I have one with 11k on it and I also have two ZR900's and the F7 is just a rocket. I can imagine that set up well it would be a great race sled. I would contact the boys at D&D.
ZR900MAN

Return to Straightline Racing