Subscribe Today

Smokin Polaris (no really!)

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

Postby velo » February 22nd, 2011, 2:02 am

Looking for some help as i have not had a sled in years.. i finally got an IQ shift... (used) I left the sled outside overnight it was cold and when i started it up It was fine at idle after letting it warm for 5 mins when i hit the gas I got a fair bit of black smokeand that lovely burning rubber smell.. eventually something gave way and off i went....I thought it could be a belt it looks fine.. now i figure the track was frozen but i rocked the sled off the ground and it was not frozen to the ground.. so i thought id ask... can any one tell me what the problem was.... should i be worried? thanks
velo

Postby kenlacy » February 22nd, 2011, 2:16 am

Most likely the belt. If you look close you will probably see some grooves.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby velo » February 22nd, 2011, 3:25 am

I looked pretty close @ the belt (on the left side of the sled) and it seemed fine and felt not hot..(but I will check again.. why would that just happen?
secondly the smoke seemed to be coming from the right side of the machine if that helps? *confused* thnaks again
velo

Postby yea!!yammi » February 22nd, 2011, 6:55 am

5 mins is not enough warm up time for a cold 2 stroke engine.
As Kenlacy said, you probably smoke ur belt. always a good idea to spin your track out on a stand or with someone picking the backend of the sled up before you head out for a ride. if it smelled like rubber it probably was.
If quitters never win & winners never quit, then who was the dumbazz that said quit while your ahead
yea!!yammi
Trasher of the Year

Postby velo » February 22nd, 2011, 9:07 am

Alright.. seeing as its a 2 man consensus I'll agree :) !
what do you think a proper warm up time is? Also I is my belt okay after "smoking it" ? Its a new belt i just replaced one like 300 miles ago...because one blew on the lake.. do u think the 2 problems could be related.? thanks again..
velo

Postby yea!!yammi » February 22nd, 2011, 10:43 am

I would say double your warm time. 10 min. Colder days it takes longer.
As for the belt if it were mine I would just use it for a spare and buy a new one. A new belt needs to be broken in properly for a long life,50 miles of easy riding, as well as put on the right way. The writing on the belt should be facing you so you can read it when on the clutches. Some belts have direction arrows but not all.
If quitters never win & winners never quit, then who was the dumbazz that said quit while your ahead
yea!!yammi
Trasher of the Year

Return to Tech Talk