Subscribe Today

in or out

If you're looking for advice or if you have a tuning tip for your fellow snowmobilers, this is the board for you.

in or out

Postby 4d » September 17th, 2011, 12:57 am

I just bought a 1999 Skidoo Grand Touring 500 Rave. It has studs in it and I've never had studs before, nor did I need them. The problem is, the studs are only down the middle of the track, in a v formation, 4 inches at the widest point. They run between the inner coolers and the tunnel. There are tunnel protectors, but they are only 1/8 inch at the most. The track is so tight that you can see the belt is slipping and you can hear it screeching and there is a pile of plastic dust at the back of the track from the sliders when I ran the track for a moment. The studs seem to protrude 1/4 inch from the lugs. There is small scratching where the studs have been hitting, only on the sides. I guess that's where the slides and the bogey wheels push them up to the tunnel.

My question is: Is this the correct set-up or can I take the studs out and run it without studs without ruining the track?
4d

in or out

Postby FreezurBurnt » September 27th, 2011, 5:18 am

Run the studs, you will love them, especially in Ontario

You do NOT want studs on the outer part of the track
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

in or out

Postby Skiduders » October 14th, 2011, 8:53 pm

You will miss the studs if you take them out. It could be that the previous owner was worried about them hitting the heat exhanger inside the tunnel and overtightend the track? Not sure. But yeah, picks on your track are a huge difference in handling.
Skiduders

Return to Tech Talk