Subscribe Today

Comment on article Global Warming: A convenient Scam

If you have something to take up with the Snow Goer staff, place your message here.

Postby KevinPHancock » September 24th, 2010, 8:04 am

When I read Phil Mickelson's article Global Warming: A convenient Scam, I noticed that he misses the point.

Where he gets into trouble is in the section, "The Only Constant is (Climate) Change".

The debate is not if there are climatic variations, but why are there global climate variations? What is the constant that is the determining force of global climatic temperature change? That's the debate that has people's blood boiling.

Carbon and other global warming gases are only part of the discussion. There are other theories such as sunspots; volcanic activity under the oceans; earth's varying position to the sun; solar variation; aerosols and soot to the global warming question. That is the argument, not that there are climatic variations.

Some arguments are so controversial that they are best left to periodicals that are equipped to handle the discussions. If SnowGoer feels their readers need to understand their opinion, at least take the time to clearly understand what the controversy is, and what is being discussed.
KevinPHancock

Postby kh550 » September 24th, 2010, 10:36 am

Agreed that if people want a deeper look at the question there are other places to read -- but I thought he did a very good job with the article.
kh550

Postby JohnPrusak » September 24th, 2010, 5:23 pm

We appreciate the feedback of both of you, we really do. But, since this is a "Dear Snow Goer" forum, we feel your note deserves a response, but it is no way intended to shout down your points.

Let me start with this in reply: 1) It's Phil's column, and the opinions stated in it are his, just like they always are in the Tech Professor column. 2) The space of the column is finite (always 1.5 pages), so Phil doesn't have the space to cover all angles of the global warming topic, he only had space to approach it from one angle, but trust me, Phil understands a lot of stuff very, very well. 3) The purpose of the column is this: The whole man-made global warming or climate change topic is everywhere these days, newspapers, news programs, infomercials, television shows and sitcoms, web sites, etc.; It's gotten to the point where any counter-point seems to get shouted down by people who want to paint those with differing opinions or alternative information as idiots, zealots or a combination of those. But there are reasonable, intelligent people who have legitimate information to add to the topic, and Phil is one of them. As users of internal combustion engines in a part of our recreation, snowmobilers are often presented as being a part of the problem, so he and we felt is was a legitimate topic for a column (again, a finite column, not a thesis). We respect any counter argument to Phil's point, and wish those who propagate the man-made global warming information would reciprocate that respect.

With all of that in mind, I'd wonder if you'd consider letting us print your letter as a response to Phil's column in an upcoming Mailbag department in Snow Goer. If that's OK, please share your name and hometown with me, either on here or via email at jprusak@affinitygroup.com so I can give you proper credit.

Thanks again for voicing your opinions.
JohnPrusak
Snow Goer Staff

Return to Dear Snow Goer